Stefano Maderno’s Martyrdom of Saint Cecilia, Church of St. Cecilia, Rome
These are the words that St. Cecilia was addressed to the prefect Almachius when sentenced:
- Amalchius: Where did you get as a presumption in meeting me?
- Cecile On a clear conscience and a sincere belief.
- Do not you know what is my power?
- Your power is similar to a skin filled with wind, that the needle pierces everything she had stiffness disappeared.
- You started with insults and you continue in the same vein!
- It does not say insult unless one alleges false words. Shows that I said an insult, then I have advanced a falsehood: either admit that you’re wrong, slandering me, we know the holiness of God’s name, and we can not deny. Better to die than to be happy to live to be miserable.
- Why are you so proud?
- It is not pride, but firmness.
- Unfortunately, you do not know the power of life and death I was given?
- I prove, and it is a real fact, you just lie: you can take the life of the living, but you can not give the dead. You are a minister of death, but not a minister of life.
- Leave your courage and sacrifice to the gods.
- I do not know where you’ve lost the use of your eyes, because the gods which you speak, we see in them stones. Palpate them instead, learn and feel that you can not see with your sight.
St. Cecilia sings until the ax of the executioner, but the latter, after three failed attempts, the dying leaves for three days (the Roman law forbade the fourth shot). She says all her property to Pope Urban and recommends that those she converted, and his house into a church: it exists today, is the Church of St. Cecilia in Trastevere, Rome .